You’re probably one of those people who run to your doctor or the nearest pharmacy to get some relief for your sore throat. Well, here’s a tip for you: there’s no need to rush anywhere, except in your own home. Here are some home remedies for sore throat that will provide you immediate relief for your problematic throat.
Sore Throat Remedies
- Saltwater Gargle: Add ½ teaspoon salt to a cup of warm water and use it as a gargle three to four times a day, or as needed, depending on severity of sore throat. This will easily reduce inflammation and clears phlegm. You can also use baking soda instead of salt. Please note that salt water gargling technique doesn’t work when you have a strep throat
- Honey: Honey has anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory properties, which provides immediate relief to soreness or swelling of the throat. Take 1 teaspoon of honey, as you would regular cough syrups. If that’s too much for you, you can mix it with hot water, hot herbal tea or lemonade.
- Warm to hot Soup or Tea: Keep your throat hydrated by drinking hot fluids such as chicken soup or tea. There are many teas you can prepare using various herbs and ingredients, such as raspberry tea or ginger tea. Lemon or lime juice also works wonders. To make it more potent, use a teaspoon of honey instead of regular sugar or sweetener.
- Garlic: Suck on a fresh garlic clove as if it were candy. Garlic contains the chemical known as allicin, which is effective in fighting strep-causing bacteria. You can also use dried garlic cloves if you find fresh garlic a bit overpowering.
- Use a humidifier: The throat tends to dry out at night when you’re asleep, thereby aggravating sore throat. Use a cool-mist vaporizer or humidifier in your room, especially at night. This will keep the air moist and won’t cause your throat to dry out.
- Hot Steam: Get a bowl of steaming hot water, put your face over the steam and cover your head with a towel, keeping the steam in. The steam can work wonders in providing relief for your throat, clear your nasal passages, and hasten the healing of your throat infection. Add eucalyptus oil or peppermint oil to the water for better results.
At the end of the day, the best tip to get rid of sore throat is to rest and take things easy for a while, and this involves your whole body, not just your throat. Get enough sleep and let your body’s natural processes fight the infection that’s causing sore throat.
Search Terms: Sore throat remedies, home remedies for sore throat, how to cure a sore throat, sore throat remedy, sore throat home remedies, sore throat treatment, how to soothe a sore throat, home remedy for sore throat, sore throat cure