Breadcrumbs are essential ingredients for many delicacies. While a lot of people have the habit of picking breadcrumbs off the supermarket spice section, they are in fact ridiculously easy to make at home. Here is how you go about making standard (not Panko breadcrumbs – we shall talk about that later) bread crumbs in you own kitchen at home.
Homemade Breadcrumbs Recipe
All that you would need as ingredients are one loaf of white bread and half cup of butter. If you are using unsalted bread and butter, you may need a couple of pinches of salt as well.
Method of Preparation
- Cut the bread loaf into small cubes of say 1” or manageable size
- Use a blender to crumb the bread evenly – This process shouldn’t take more than 5-6 seconds, don’t blend it for too long
- Optional step: Use a coarse sieve to filter out the fine ground bread pieces
- Melt half a cup of butter in a large pan and add crumbs to it. You may add a couple of pinches of salt if you are using unsalted bread and butter
- Stir well so that butter is evenly absorbed and continue stirring in medium heat until the crumbs move around like sand at the bottom of the pan (with similar sound, that is)
- Let it cool and you can then store it in a tight container or zip locker for up to three months
Microwave Breadcrumbs Recipe
Now, what if you want to make small quantities of breadcrumbs real quick?
Here is how you go about it.
- Take three to four bread slices and cut them across and lengthwise once
- Place the bread pieces in a microwavable plate in one layer and microwave on ‘High’ for about 3-4 minutes or until they are crunchy. Please note that a few overheating can turn it into black
- Place the hardened bread pieces inside a zipped bag and crush them using your hand or a roller pin
- Alternatively you could use a blender to do the same but blend for no more than 3-4 seconds
For extra tasty breadcrumbs, you might have to use the conventional oven to prepare the breadcrumbs. In that case you also have the possibility of adding seasoning such as dried oregano, pepper or garlic powder.
That is it. Homemade breadcrumbs are good to go into your recipes.