Copying or transferring music files from your iPod to a computer or laptop usually involves paid third party software or tools.
Here is how you can do the same without having to install any other programs.
1. Connect your iPod to your computer or laptop via USB cable and wait for the PC to recognize the player. You have to ‘disk use‘ is enabled in iTunes.
2. Open your ‘Windows Explorer‘, locate your iPod icon at the left pane and click on it (Alternatively, you could open ‘My Computer’ and click ‘Devices with Removable Storage’ to locate your iPod)
3. Click on ‘Tools’ -> ‘Folder Options’ menu in the Windows Explorer. Under the ‘View’ tab, find the sub-folder called ‘Hidden files and folders‘.
4. Check or Select the option ‘Show hidden files, folders and drives‘ and click ‘OK’. On completion of this step, a new folder named ‘iPod_Control’ shows up.
5. Double click on the ‘iPod_Control‘ folder and open the folder under it called ‘Music‘.
6. Select all the folders there and copy them to a folder of your choice on your computer hard drive. You have now completed copying all your iPod music files to your computer. At this point you may disconnect your iPod if you wish to do so.
7. Open up iTunes. In the hard drive folder you copied the songs, open up each of the folders labeled ‘F##‘, then mark all files in that folder. Copy these files to another folder on your computer from where you can play them.
Please note that this method works only with iPod Classic or iPod Nano. For iPod touch you may have to use some software.
Also, for transferring music from an iPod to a new computer (than the computer from through which you purchased the songs) involves authorizing the new computer via iTunes Store -> Authorize Computer option.
Enjoy your music from your computer now!